Sorry gentlemen, if you haven't already learned, your health is just as important in the fertility dance as the woman’s. In fact, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine estimates that roughly one-third of infertility cases can be attributed to the male, with another one-third due to the female.
But don't fret yet, below are a few ways that have improved my husband’s sperm in as quick as 6 months!
1. Decrease your alcohol intake. According to the BMJ [British Medical Journal] Open, even modest habitual alcohol consumption of more than 5 units per week [One unit is 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol] had adverse effects on semen quality, although most pronounced associations were seen in men who consumed more than 25 units per week.
2. Quit smoking! Cigarettes and marijuana smoking have been linked to low sperm counts, sluggish motility, and abnormally developed sperm. That's leaving out all the other linked ailments smoking can cause.
3. Eat more fruits and veggies. Getting plenty of these guys will help you achieve your daily vitamins and minerals for overall well-being which naturally will help your guys!
4. Incorporate an exercise routine. According to a study out of Harvard, men who exercise for seven or more hours a week (an hour a day) had a 48% higher concentration of sperm than those who work out less than an hour a week. But that’s not all. Men who spent more than an hour and a half a week exercising outside had a 42% higher sperm concentration than those who spent no time outside.
5. Keep the boys cool. According to the Mayo Clinic, overexposure to certain environmental elements such as heat, toxins, and chemicals can reduce sperm production or sperm function. Elevated temperatures impair sperm production and function. Although studies are limited and are inconclusive, frequent use of saunas or hot tubs may temporarily impair your sperm count. Sitting for long periods, wearing tight clothing or working on a laptop computer for long stretches of time also may increase the temperature in your scrotum and may slightly reduce sperm production. My husbands urologist also suggests keeping cell phone away from your privates.
6. Acupuncture. For those of you that aren't familiar, Resolve [Is a National Infertility Association] defined its purpose well: "The general theory of acupuncture is based on the premise that there is a vital energy behind all life forms and life processes. This energy, called “qi” (pronounced “chee”), circulates throughout the body along well-defined pathways. Proper circulation of qi is essential for health. Disruptions of this flow are the cause for disease. Acupuncture corrects qi flow returning the body to a state of balance. According to Chinese medical theory, by increasing the male partner’s whole-body health the sperm will be of better quality"
If you're not a fan of needles (like myself) they have other options available. My husband and I believe it has been a great addition! Since he started acupuncture 3 months ago his sperm motility has improved, his stress level has decreased, and he's feeling more balanced.
7. Supplements. Last but not least, we have found ConceptionXR has contributed to the improvement in his sperm. ConceptionXR is the fertility vitamin for men. Please consult your doctor to see if these supplements are necessary before using!
THE GOOD NEWS: a recent Harvard study showed an 80% decrease in infertility with lifestyle changes made by switching to a fertility diet. And I'm here to support you! Start your 2017 with a free 50-minute health history with me to discover what lifestyle changes can do for your swimmers!
Click below on my website link to schedule an appointment!
Please share in the comments section any tools that you've found to improve your swimmers. I'd love to hear from you!
Until next time :)
Image courtesy of cuteimage at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
1038 West Monroe Street, Chicago, IL 60607 | 312-523-1453 | email@example.com
(Please note that a fertility coaching session is not a medical consultation, although we can discuss your current fertility program. I may be able to help you strategize, or suggest additional options)
©2016 Zicyasa Yoga and Health Coaching. All rights reserved.